Thursday, June 5, 2014

We Were Liars

Where do I even start with this one without giving too much away? I completely, 100% and entirely LOVED every moment of WeWere Liars by E. Lockhart!  I haven't read a book like this in such a long time that it actually really caught me by surprise. This is not to be missed! Do not overlook this book. It's so wonderful and full of mystery and intrigue. I don't want to give anything away, but trust me, this is worth a read! 

Summary courtesy of Goodreads:
A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl;
a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.
 


We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 



Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

Wow, right?!  Even just that summary...You really don't know what to expect when you pick this one up but let me tell you, utterly fantastic....FANTASTIC you hear?  Okay, so you're asking, "but why is it fantastic?" Again, without giving too much away, (1) the world-building is out of this world.  I mean I can remember actually feeling like I was on this East Coast island soaking in the summers.  (2) The pacing is well executed.  The way we go back and forth between present time and past time as Cadence relives her memories is done in a non-choppy kind of way, which I appreciate. (3) The ending is jaw-dropping.  That is all I will say, but you will not be disappointed.  The only thing that felt a little rushed and a hair unreal, was the romance...but beyond that I just had so many *FEELS* for this book in general.  I completely teared up on a beach with this book and had one of the worst/best book hangovers that I seriously kept thinking back on this book.  Seriously, I really have nothing but good things to say about this novel.

All in all, I definitely think this is one to give a shot if you've been on the fence.  It reads like an onion with many layers and lots of depth, secrecy and intrigue.  Think...Fight Club meets Memento meets The Sixth Sense crossed with Gossip Girl...ooo you will have to read! :)


No comments: