Saturday, May 10, 2014

YA Moms Who Rock - Happy Mother's Day!

Today is a VERY special day...It's MOTHER'S DAY! So to all you moms our there Happy Mother's Day!  If you're friends with a special mother or have a special mother be sure to let them know that you appreciate all they do!  

I know I for one owe part of my love of books to my parents who both are serious readers themselves and my early childhood was filled with lots of bedtime stories inclusive of some pretty awesome character voices!  I hope that someday when I have children of my own I too can pass on my passion for reading as well!  That is one gift that I am thankful for everyday. 

Now, I know that being a mom is one TOUGH job, but being a mom in YA seems to be even tougher!  Especially since so many featured moms seem to fall short, are missing entirely or never seem to make it onto the pages in any significance....so, let's give a shoutout to our ROCKSTAR moms of YA!  You know who they are...they're the women that stand strong, lead by example, are compassionate, loving, kind and kick a$$!  So let's start the list...


Our first shoutout goes to one of my favorite moms...she's nearly iconic for how she is portrayed literally laying down her life to save her son and still brings a tear to my eye just thinking about her sacrifice...Lily Potter from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1).  She is one amazing woman who not only dies to protect Harry but also teaches him a lesson that helps him in his ultimate journey in the Harry Potter Series!  

Speaking of mothers who were willing to lay down their lives for their children, we could not leave out the next two:

Clary's mom Jocelyn from City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1).  We know mom's shouldn't keep secrets from their daughters who will save the world, but Jocelyn is ultimately just trying to protect Clary. 

Tris' mom, Natalie Prior of Divergent (Divergent, #1) , who too has secrets of her own that are only revealed once saves her daughter from execution and lays her life down to protect her during a high intensity chase scene.  Her death goes down asbrave death of love sacrifice.

One other we should not leave out is Percy's mom, Sally Jackson in the series The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1).  Sally's desire to protect Percy leads her to marry smelly Gabe Ugliano so that monsters would stay away from her son and endures Gabe's abuse just so that Percy has a chance to be safe.

Now I know this list is short and I'm leaving some out...Who would you send a shout out to?  Is there a YA mom that you wish was your mom?  

I'll leave you with this pretty cool vid that was circulating out there that I thought did a particularly good job at defining how tiresome and hard a mom's job really can be!  



1 comment:

Tanya Florencio said...

I really liked this post! I thought it was unique and interesting to read :) Well done x Have a great day, Much Love, Tanya x