Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1)

How, how, how had I thought I had already posted a review of the lovely THE KISS OF DECEPTION only to find out I never did!  Oy!  Let me start off by saying, if  you’re a fan of fantasy and epic adventure than you best not miss Mary E. Pearson’s amazing magical skill at writing!  Definitely one of the top 10 for 2014 IMHO, Pearson will build you a kingdom so rich and full and then throw in fantastic characters that you will love to hate and fall in love with and to top it all off she will tell you a story so amazing and lush and then she will strategically place little twists and turns that will not only keep you engaged but on the edge of your seat!  This is definitely not one to miss… Don’t trust me? Read on…


Summary courtesy of Goodreads:
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.
Okay so let’s start with the cover, because we all know I DEFINITELY judge my books by the cover and this one DOES NOT disappoint! First of all look at that sky!  We’ve all been there and trust me when I say, that sky spells brewing STORM! I mean really, and check it out, our girl Lia staring right into the eye of the storm even with pursuers clearly in the background! 

As if the cover hadn’t been indication enough let me just say, this book is….FREAKING AWESOME! Seriously though, this novel was amazing and well written.  Definitely well thought out.  What was my favorite part?  Well beyond the princesses and arranged marriages it was the CHARACTERS!  Omg!  I fell in love with our little heroine.  She’s our princess, but not dainty and simple minded and liking everything pretty but rather this courageous ball of spunk that decides, “no I will not marry if not for love” and sneaks out and finds herself in a world that she can call her own…that is until they come for her.  She is so headstrong and capable at the same time.  She and her AMAZING servant Pauline set off on the adventure of their lifetime and because of courage, wit and smarts is able to really do quite anything the set their minds too…too bad the prince and the assassin are also fairly intelligent. 

Honestly though, the characters are truly amazing but the setting is nearly just as brilliant!  Pearson’s world building is seriously crafted to near perfections.  I can taste and smell the tavern and on the dusty roads I was there too!  It was like reading a movie with your eyes but feeling it in your body.  So well done.  I cannot say enough good things about this novel.  You really need to try it out yourself. Seriously, you will not be disappointed.  So what are you waiting for?  …GO! ☺

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh. Read this one awhile back and I loved it as much as you! :D I definitely judge my books my the cover. And the title too! Don't forget the title! :) Great review!

And that reminds me, did I post a review for The Kiss of Deception yet? LOL.

Cindy @ In This World of Books..