Friday, June 21, 2013

Since You Asked...

Maurene Goo's, Since you Asked...Releases in a few days (June 25, 2013) and was actually much better than I had originally anticipated and the ending definitely leaves you wanting more...

Summary Courtesy of Goodreads:
A humorous, debut novel about a Korean-American teenager (Holly Kim) who accidentally lands her own column in her high school newspaper, and proceeds to rant her way through the school year while struggling to reconcile the traditional Korean values of her parents with contemporary American culture.
I will say that it took me till about 1/3 of the way into the book to really get hooked (in fact I remember looking down and noting the point where it really picked up and thinking, "yay!"), but keep with it and you will be rewarded with some really wonderful moments of surprising humor.  Goo really captures the essence of high school quite perfectly (the cliques, the pressures, the false facades and of course, the real friends) and the family life made me laugh and re-read portions out loud to whomever I was around. I know it's so cliche, and we often complain about it, but I really did miss the love interest element.  It was sort of there, but very slightly and just when you thought there would be something more, it abruptly ended, leaving me wanting more...sequel?

All in all, this is a great summer read to toss into your beach bag and enjoy a good laugh and look into Holly Kim's Crazy But Lovable Asian-American Family!

No comments: